Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #98 Smashing Pumpkins




Among the most eclectic of the big alt-rock bands of the 90s was Chicago’s Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan, James Iha, D’arcy Wretzky, and Jimmy Chamberlin got together in 1988 and released their debut album “Gish” in 1991. They made some waves in the alt-rock community, but after the Grunge explosion turned alternative mainstream they became huge.

Their music evolved over time to become truly epic in scope and their videos reflected that. Billy Corgan was one of the finest songwriters and producers of the period.




The Gish album was fantastic. Just blew me away the first time I heard it.





Also from the Gish album, although an earlier version was their first single.





One more great song from the Gish album.





The Siamese Dream album was the one that made the band stars, containing some of the biggest songs of the 90s.





One of the best songs of the 90s. Today is the greatest day I've ever known.



The Smashing Pumpkins  -  Today found on Rock



This is where they started going for a more epic feel. Very pretty song.





Another one of the definitive songs of the early 90s. Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage.





‎1979 is my favorite Pumpkins video. It really takes me back to my teenage years and I just get all misty. Yeah, I was kind of a little hoodlum.





We finish our look at the Smashing Pumpkins with this beautiful homage to Georges Méliès' classic film A Trip to the Moon. They really outdid themselves on this one.












No comments: