Saturday, November 21, 2009

The 40 Best Songs of 1966

Numbers 30 to 26

30. Psychotic Reaction – Count Five

A number five hit for one-hit wonders Count Five, this is one of the most well-remembered of any of the big garage band songs to come out of the mid-60’s. Love that fuzzy guitar sound.




29. Sometimes I Think About – The Blues Magoos

I hope you like this video, because I made it. The Blues Magoos hit the scene in ‘66 with their debut album, the magnificent “Psychedelic Lollipop”, which should have been a massive hit, but unfortunately wasn’t. They stepped back a bit from the psychedelia here and produced one of the finest blues-rock songs of the decade.




28. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat – Bob Dylan

Another great Dylan lyric. I think it’s about consumerism in our society, but I’ve seen a couple of other interpretations. It’s a great song any way you look at it.




27. Sunshine Superman – Donovan

Donovan had a number one hit with this one. The Superman and Green Lantern references really make the song for me, but that’s just my natural comic book geek coming out.




26. Mustang Sally – Wilson Pickett

Wicked Pickett, the man from Prattville. I was born and raised in Alabama, so I tend to take a little pride in some of the great artists that came out of that state and Wilson Pickett was one of the best.





Comments and opinions are welcome and encouraged.

Thank you for your interest.



No comments: