Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Ten Best Albums of 1966

Number 4

Psychedelic Lollipop – The Blues Magoos


Released in November 1966

Side One:

1. (We Ain’t Got) Nothin’ Yet
2. Love Seems Doomed
3. Tobacco Road
4. Queen of My Nights
5. I’ll Go Crazy

Side Two:

1. Gotta Get Away
2. Sometimes I Think About
3. One by One
4. Worried Life Blues
5. She’s Coming Home


I must thank my dear friend Daphne who introduced me to this album sometime around 1991. She had the most amazing collection of old vinyl records and this was one of her prizes, the Blues Magoos having not yet made it into a CD format. I was fresh out of high school and beginning to dig a little deeper into the music of the 60’s. I had long been a fan of the more well-known psych groups (Doors, Airplane, Dead, etc.), but how had I never heard these guys before? As I mentioned earlier, you could argue whether the beginnings of psychedelia came from Austin’s Elevators or the Magoos of the Bronx, but either way I feel that this album is a bit better and should have earned them greater acclaim and stardom. (We Ain’t Got) Nothin’ Yet, the hit single, was an incredible piece of garage rock glory. They played magnificent blues with covers of Tobacco Road, Worried Life Blues, and their own beauty Sometimes I Think About. Much was made of the Beatles’ “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” having LSD in the title, but the Magoos did it first with their Love Seems Doomed. They do a ripping cover of James Brown’s I’ll Go Crazy. Gotta Get Away and One By One were also potential classics. The Blues Magoos should have been major stars. This album is one hell of a legacy of that.



































Comments and opinions are encouraged and appreciated.

Thank you for your interest.

No comments: