Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #84 Blind Faith





I know they only recorded one album, but that was a hell of a good album. They were one of the great super-groups that formed in the late 60s. Ric Grech was previously the bass player for the prog-rock group Family. Ginger Baker was the drummer for Cream and is rightly considered one of the greatest drummers in all of rock. Eric Clapton had played guitar with the Yardbirds, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, and Cream and until the emergence of Hendrix was widely touted as the greatest guitarist in the world. Steve Winwood played keyboards and sang incredibly well, fronting the Spencer Davis Group at the tender age of fourteen and then going on to form Traffic. Their self-titled album contained fantastic songs, impressive musicianship (including what I consider some of the finest guitar work of Clapton’s career) and left you wondering what might have been had they continued to record together.

Since they only recorded the one album, I'm posting the whole thing. Except for the last song, but that was just a fifteen minute drum solo, so you won't be missing much. Winwood sings beautifully here.


But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.
Beautiful track. Winwood in fine voice and Clapton at his peak.


Blind Faith had a bit of a hit with this Buddy Holly cover.


Presence of the Lord. Magnificent track. My favorite song on the album. Also my favorite Eric Clapton guitar solo ever.


and we conclude our look at Blind Faith with Sea of Joy, another great vocal from Winwood.



No comments: