Sunday, June 12, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #86 The Sugarcubes




I still remember that night clearly. A Sunday night in 1988, I was sitting up late watching 120 Minutes on MTV when they showed the video for a song called Birthday by a new band that came from Iceland. This beautiful elf-like woman opened her mouth and produced a sound unlike any I had ever heard and I was hooked. To this day, I consider Birthday to be one of the greatest songs ever recorded. I went out and bought their album “Life’s Too Good” and fell in love with the Sugarcubes. Björk, the gorgeous elf, has proven to be one of the greatest female voices of all time. She has been immensely successful as a solo artist, but I still prefer the music she recorded with this band. Einar, the other singer, does take a little getting used to, but he adds just the right element of quirkiness to the combo. Here’s to the only band from Iceland on the list.


Still one of the greatest things I've ever heard.





Just because it is such a magnificently beautiful song, here is Birthday again. The original recording in Icelandic. Really pretty language.





I will not finish, til I'm fully satisfied.





I love this one. That growl in Bjork's voice just melts me away every time.





From the vastly underrated second album, Here Today Tomorrow Next Week, this is Planet.





This song makes me hungry. I would like strawberry juice.





Wait for me underneath the water.





We conclude our look at the Sugarcubes with Hit.








No comments: