Saturday, June 04, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #93 Sublime






On May 25, 1996, a heroin overdose took the life of Bradley Nowell at the age of 28. There have been many rock performers through the years who have lost their lives at an early age and the lost potential breaks your heart when you wonder what they could have done had they survived. Brad, the singer and guitarist for Sublime, looms very large in that list. As far as the ska genre goes, America has never produced a greater band. I am always amazed at the dark stories of teen prostitutes, date rape, and strong bad-assery delivered by Nowell in the sweetest voice. I would be remiss if I did not also mention the drums of Bud Gaugh and the fantastic bass skills of Eric Wilson. I wonder how high on this list they would have been if Brad had survived to record for these last fifteen years.







Hey y'all! Ska beach party!





Can't say enough good about this one. Great song. Great video. Great story. Kick-ass bass work from Eric Wilson. Wonderful cameo from the Hedgehog. Brad Nowell is very cool. All around awesomeness! You gotta watch it.





This made them huge. The first single off their breakthrough album. Unfortunately, Brad died before it was released, so he never got to enjoy the massive acclaim the band began to receive. Beautiful song.





Classic. One of the best vids of the 90s.





My favorite Sublime song. I love how Brad can sing such badass lyrics with such a sweet voice. "Believe me when I say that I've got something for his punk ass."





This one is very pretty.





and we finish our look at Sublime with their excellent cover of the Hong Kong Phooey theme song.






No comments: