Monday, July 18, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #66 ZZ Top





Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard are that little ol’ band from Texas called ZZ Top. Coming together in Houston back in 1969, these three guys have been playing together for over 40 years and are still touring and recording today. They are instantly recognizable whether you are talking about their look or their sound. The bearded power trio’s devotion to that Southern blues-boogie sound has led them to eight Top 40 hits and a 2004 induction to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I know only two of the three wear beards, but the third one is named Beard so I’ll call them a bearded trio. They have sold more than 50 million albums across the globe over the years and they ain’t done yet.


Their first big hit. Love this song.


Fantastic live performance. Just lookin for some tush.


What really knocked me out were her cheap sunglasses.


Boogie Woogie all night long


Now we get to the famous videos from Eliminator. I was 12 years old when this album came out and I loved these videos, I loved that car, and I was quite fond of those girls as well. :-)


This was my favorite song on the album. I don't think they made a video for it though.


I'm so glad I grew up in the 80s. Our music was so much better than the crap today's kids listen to.


This may have been their biggest hit. An iconic video of the 80s. Makes me all nostalgic.


I must admit that I didn't care for the heavily synthesized sound that ZZ Top cultivated in the mid to late 80s. So, I was thrilled when 1990 brought this song that hearkened back to their early 70s sound. We'll conclude our look at the little ol band from Texas with it.



No comments: