Monday, July 18, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #67 Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble





There have been many great guitarists through the history of rock. The pre-eminence of Jimi Hendrix as the greatest of them all has been the prevalent position since his explosive rise. In the ensuing 40+ years, many others have risen to greatness, but only one man has reached the same stratosphere of excellence. The tragedy is that, like Hendrix, his light was extinguished far too early. That man was Stevie Ray Vaughan, the second greatest guitarist who ever lived. With his band Double Trouble; bassist Tommy Shannon and drummer Chris Layton, he recorded four albums from 1983 to 1989 that redefined what blues was for an entirely new generation. The magic that flowed through his fingers and his obvious passion for those sounds was incredibly inspirational. Losing him when we did, just when his star was rising, remains one of the most devastating tragedies to befall the world of music.


Stevie Ray's first video was so badass.


Fantastic live performance of one of my favorite Stevie Ray tracks. She's my sweet little thing, she's my pride and joy. She's my sweet little baby, I'm her little lover boy.


Well, it's flooding down in Texas. One of the finest blues songs of the last fifty years. I am in awe of Stevie Ray's skills.


Loved this video for Couldn't Stand the Weather. I can't understand why these songs weren't really big 80s hits.


Cold Shot. This is such a great video. Poor Stevie Ray just gets the hell knocked out of him in this one.


get away from the blind side of life
honey I want you to be by my side
me and my back door moves ain't no more
no more


Here is Stevie Ray's popular cover of Stevie Wonder's Superstition.


One of his best guitar tracks. I can watch his fingers fly across that fretboard all day. Stevie Ray was the man.


Walkin' the tightrope. Another virtuosic performance.


Stevie Ray was the only guy who could cover Hendrix and do him justice.


and we conclude our look at Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble with a beautiful song called Life by the Drop.




No comments: